Friday, April 15, 2011

Regret and Repetition

I have two things I want to talk about today!!

Topic 1: Regret

I picked up where I left off in my reading through the Bible, 1 Chronicles 9-11.  Hmmm...how to start. Chapter 9 was more genealogy, which I mentioned in the last blog. Chapter 10 talks about Saul and his death, it sounds familiar, like I've read it before. I started to get really confused and frustrated because where did Saul come from and why was he so important. It seemed so random. the passage is going on about genealogy and after Saul's genealogy it switches to his death.  I backed and stopped and thought.  He has to have been mentioned before because it sounds familiar and it was important enough to mention in a (seemingly) odd place (to me at least); so I used the center column where it references previous scripture. 1 Samuel was referenced. Flipped back and bam! There is was! Several chapters on Saul. Clarification. Awesome.  Another reason I looked back was because in 1Chronicles 10:13 it said Saul died because of breach of faith.  I began skimming the passages and found out what the breach of faith was...but while skimming 1Samuel 15:35 I found an interesting phrase. It said "the LORD regretted that he had made Saul king over Israel." Why would the LORD regret his decision that he already knew would happen. Next step, used my eSword for other translations of the Bible and see what other word is used. :) (Yes I am very happy with myself because this is the first time I am really STUDYING my Bible and not just reading it.) Anyways back on topic. ESword has this neat thing that I can look at various concordances and such. So in the KJV+ it has these codes next to words. This is was came up next to regretted (repented in this  translation): A primitive root; properly to sigh, that is, breathe strongly; by implication to be sorry, that is, (in a favorable sense) to pity, console or (reflexively) rue; or (unfavorably) to avenge (oneself): - comfort (self), ease [one’s self], repent (-er, -ing, self). To me 'sigh' makes sense. The LORD 'sighing' at our decisions makes more sense and brings more clarification. Hope it brings light to you as well!


Topic 2: Repetition

So looking back through previous read passages brought two things to mind. 1) I don't retain information like I used to and 2) God repeats himself. It reminds me of something Kyle use to say. Something to the effect of repetition means it's important (correct me or whatever Kyle!) Take Saul's genealogy for example, it was mentioned twice within two sequential chapters. Paul's life was mentioned twice in 5 chapters. Saul obviously did something that the Lord wants us to take notice of. :)


Just saying!

No comments:

Post a Comment