Monday, April 11, 2011

Psalms 23

So at my church Double Springs Baptist (AKA 2Springs) we are going through a series called "The Psalms: Cultivating A Heart For God". So far a great series; I am really enjoying it. We are working our way through Psalms 23 and have made it through verses 1-3 and halfway through 4.  It still amazes me how one person can read something and get such a deep meaning out of it.

We have talked about how God's presence is our peace in verses 1-3.  The use of the analogy of the shepherd and his sheep is interesting to me because of the difference of what a shepherd was back then and what one is now. BIG difference. So as Kyle (my preacher) says context context context. A shepherd took care of his sheep, they had nothing to worry about just to eat and be merry (if that's a possibility). So we are the sheep and the Lord is the shepherd. The Lord will take care of us and we won't want anything; we all know that when we are taken care of we are at peace. How awesome is that!! To know that there is someone (way greater and mightier than us) taking care of us and providing for us...we should be at peace with that thought!

In verse 4 we see there is protection in the presence of God. Everyone has those points in life where we are down and depressed, the valleys of life. Well in the first half of the verse I have seen that we WALK through valleys. Here is where the deep thoughts come in....when we walk we are calm.  The scripture does not say we run through these valleys, running is frantic. We have a calm assurance with the presence of God. I have also seen that we go THROUGH the valleys. The Lord does not say we sit it them or linger around. That alone makes me ecstatic! To know that when I am going through something I won't be there forever!  The last thing revealed is that we are in the SHADOW of the valley of death, not in valley of death. Where there is a shadow, light is around some where (light being the Lord). Again his presence is peace, and we can rely on that.

God shows himself in amazing ways. This sermon could not have come at a better time in my life. This was definitely something I need to hear. Everything that was talked about I felt. Knowing that God was with me and that I would not be in the valley forever gave me peace and a sense of calmness. I wasn't anxious and nervous about the outcome. :) God is beyond good!

*Giving credit where credit is due: almost all of this is directly from  Preacher Kyle's sermon at my church

No comments:

Post a Comment