Thursday, April 28, 2011

Does God have Obligations?

My head is spinning! I read my Sunday school lesson tonight (the first...maybe second...time I read the entire lesson with this book, cause I'm slacker like that--I promise I'm working on that) Back to the head spinning. I felt like my lesson went from being about believers of other religions to salvation of people to those that have never heard of God to being judged. This lesson would have worked a lot better for my brain if it had been outlined prior because it feels like the author is skipping around, when in fact, looking at all subjects mashed together they kinda fit. So I'm going to try this:

Have you ever wondered what happens to people that never hear of Christ?? Or people that believe other religions? And how these groups will be judged? Well that was what this lesson was on..it's in a series of 10 Lies about God [More on that later].

The title of this lesson: God is Obligated to Save Followers of Other Religions

According to my lesson this topic brings in a lot of controversy. Makes sense. One narrow path to Heaven...doesn't exactly go with society's view (which is simple if generalized--do what makes you feel good and benefits you). Controversy begins because people ask: Would a loving God send people to Hell that have had no chance to hear the Word of God? and the like. We are accused of being heartless, narrow minded, and believing that Christianity is above all other religions. Well the thing is that we are humans and God is God. We are to follow His rules not ours.  He created us, not the other way around. The Bible is clear as a bell in that it says salvation can only be obtained through Christ Jesus. Then you have people that say, 'well God will redeem people because He knows what that person would have believed under different circumstances.' We all have free will. We decide how to live our lives and we have to live with the results of those choices. So what about that person in the middle of the dessert that the Gospel has yet to reach? They didn't choose to be born there and never be exposed to the Gospel. How will God judge them?

To me, the lesson goes off a little by mentioning various situations (referred to as exceptions). Such as, infants, the idea of the true intent of people, Gentiles, and Cornelius (Acts 10--I recommend reading the entire chapter to fully understand). I'm not getting in to these things because this blog would be forever long and probably throw you off for a little bit like it did me.)

***A major thing to understand is we as humans have our own definitions of words--such as fairness, just, etc--God's are not ours. Unless it came directly from the Bible or from God to you, there is a huge chance that you are wrong in your definition. I know I am.  What is fair to God may not be what we think is fair.  Think in terms of your child if you have one.  When you punish them for disobedience they may not see it as fair, but you being the one that has been through more and see the greater picture, see it as fair.***

By now my head is so confused it's ridiculous. I have a major issue with Bible studies using scripture that don't directly relate to the topic or are used out of context. This study seems to do that a lot.  To answer the question 'What happens to those that have never heard of Christ' it uses Romans 1:18-21 [this however speaks of those who 'suppress the truth'...not those that have never heard the truth], Genesis 18:25 [this is Abraham talking to God about Sodom..who as far as I know knew the truth and refused it], and Roman 9:14-16 [ this talks about God having compassion on who He has compassion and mercy on who He has mercy]. This answers nothing in my opinion.

The lesson also mentions general revelation. This refers first to people knowing of God based on what God has reveal in nature and how God displays His eternal power and divine nature in creation. Second, through God-consciousness and an innate sense of what is right and wrong.  He references no scripture but I am inclined to follow this because I have heard it before in church/sermon settings.

In the end, my conclusion from the lesson and the scripture provide (also reading before and after the given scripture) that it is none of my business what God has planned for those that have not heard or non-believers that are sincere in their beliefs. My task at hand is to take what I know and learn in the scripture and teach it to the people I can reach.

Some scripture that was given if you choose to research more:
"Gain understanding into this perplexing issue": Ps 119:18,125
Salvation: John 14:6, Acts 4:12, 1 Tim 2:5-6
Cornelius: Acts 10:34-35
God's picture vs our picture: Isa 55:8-9
General revelation Romans 1:18-21
God's judgement: Genesis 18:25, Rom 9:14-15
From my husband: Rom 5:12-13

***With the exception of the last one, these are listed in my Bible Study.***

What confusion...within reading all this I have already been forming a new blog in my head: Is it really free will if God already knows our choices?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment